If you’re looking for cheap car insurance in Delaware, finding the best deal means shopping around. cheatgame.info looked at the six largest insurers in Delaware and found the cheapest options for:
Also in this article
» FIND YOUR MATCH: Who’s the cheapest carrier for you?
Cheapest for good drivers
For drivers with no at-fault accidents, DUIs or moving violations.
For drivers in Delaware, shopping around for car insurance rates is crucial: The state has the 4th highest average rates in the country, according to our rankings of the most and least expensive states for car insurance. In our analysis, Nationwide Insurance was far cheaper for good drivers than State Farm and Progressive, the next cheapest options.
Cheapest for young drivers
For drivers in their early 20s.
Drivers in their 20s can generally choose minimal coverage levels because they have less to lose after an accident. Nationwide Insurance is the cheapest for this age group in our analysis, with rates almost $250 less per year than 30-year-olds with fuller policies and clean driving records.
Cheapest for drivers with poor credit
For drivers placed in the “poor credit” tier.
Delaware’s new Insurance Consumer Fairness Law (see below) restricts the types of credit-related information that can be used by insurers when setting prices and renewing policies. Our rate analysis was done before the new law took effect, but this driver profile would be the only one potentially affected among the profiles we analyzed.
Nationwide Insurance had the cheapest car insurance in Delaware for drivers who had poor credit, about $147 per month in our analysis. It was the cheapest by a wide margin.
Cheapest for retired drivers
Retired drivers spend less time on the roads in general than those who commute every day, so they can often get better rates. We looked at rates for older drivers in Delaware who drive half as many miles as the 30-year-olds we profiled. Nationwide Insurance offered the lowest rates in our analysis at $1,196 per year, or just about $100 per month, with State Farm and Progressive rounding out the cheapest three options.
Cheapest for drivers with a military connection
If you’re an active member of the military or a veteran — or have an immediate family member who is — you’ll probably get a very good rate with USAA, an option that isn’t available to the general public. In our analysis, USAA was the cheapest auto insurance option for every driver type above, and in many cases by a large amount. USAA customers also get the insurer’s top-rated customer service.
Minimum car insurance requirements in Delaware
Auto insurance policies in Delaware must include liability insurance, which covers other people’s injuries and property damage if you cause a crash.
The minimum required liability limits in Delaware are:
- $15,000 bodily injury liability per person
- $30,000 bodily injury liability per crash
- $10,000 property damage liability per crash
Even though these limits will be enough to drive legally, they may not fully cover others’ damages if you cause an accident. If the cost of injury treatment or vehicle repairs exceeds your coverage amount, you would have to pay the remainder.
Check out cheatgame.info’s guide to minimum car insurance requirements by state to learn more about common car insurance options.
Delaware’s Consumer Insurance Fairness Law
Delaware’s Insurance Consumer Fairness Law, enacted Aug. 1, 2017, restricts the information that insurers can use when setting prices and renewing auto and homeowners policies. The law says:
- Insurance companies may not use an insurance credit score that factors in the income, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, education, address, ZIP code, race, ethnic group, religion, marital status or nationality of the consumer
- Insurance companies may not cancel or not renew a policy based on credit information alone
- Insurance companies may not take action against a consumer because that person lacks a credit card or credit information
- Insurance companies cannot utilize collection information using medical codes
- Insurance companies cannot utilize extraordinary life circumstances such as serious illness or injury, death of a spouse or loved one, divorce and involuntary loss of employment for three months or more
- Insurance companies cannot use credit in policy renewals, unless a review request results in lower premiums
- An insurer cannot increase a renewal rate for personal automobile insurance policies based solely on an insured person reaching the age of 75 or older
- An insurer cannot increase rates based upon a change of marital status due to the death of a spouse
Alternative car insurance for high-risk drivers
If you have multiple crashes or violations on your record, poor credit or other circumstances that make it difficult to buy car insurance on the voluntary market, you can seek coverage through the Delaware Automobile Insurance Plan.
Here’s a summary of where you’ll find the cheapest insurance, by category:
Cheapest car insurance in Delaware
|Drivers with poor credit||Nationwide|
|Drivers with a military connection||USAA|
Try cheatgame.info’s car insurance comparison tool to see rates from multiple companies.
For most categories, cheatgame.info averaged rates for 30-year-old men and women in 10 ZIP codes and with the following coverage limits:
- $100,000 bodily injury liability coverage per person
- $300,000 bodily injury liability coverage per crash
- $50,000 property damage liability coverage per crash
- $100,000 uninsured motorist bodily injury coverage per person
- $300,000 uninsured motorist bodily injury coverage per crash
- Collision coverage with a $1,000 deductible
- Comprehensive coverage with a $1,000 deductible
We used a 2013 Toyota Camry in all cases. Our sample retired driver was age 67 and drove 50% fewer annual miles than those in other groups. Our sample young driver was age 22 and carried the minimum required coverage levels. These are sample rates generated through Quadrant Information Services. Your own rates will be different.