You can identify Spider-Man, Iron Man, Hulk and Thor. But can you also identify Ant-Man, Dr. Strange and the 17 core members of the Avengers?
If so, you’re a big enough fan of Marvel to consider its official superhero credit card. As a cash back credit card, it may not be quite “super,” but it’s competitive — and worth it if you spend money on Peter Parker, Steve Rogers and Bruce Banner.
Here are five things to know about The Marvel Mastercard.
» cheatgame.info rating: 3.5 / 5
1. It comes in six card designs
If you’re considering this card, a primary reason is likely the artwork on the front. You can choose among a half-dozen designs. Four cards feature superheroes:
- Iron Man
- Black Panther
Two are subtler designs:
- Captain America’s shield
- A black-and-gray composite of Marvel superhero emblems
2. Cash back rewards are pretty good
The Marvel Mastercard doesn’t hang with the most lucrative cash back cards, but its rewards are decent for a specialty card. And rewards are doled out in the super-currency of cash, as opposed to points or store credit.
The card gives 3% cash back on:
- Dining. A useful bonus category for ordering spinach at restaurants to gain superhuman strength. (Wait. Popeye wasn’t Marvel.)
- Select entertainment. A sampling of what qualifies: amusement parks (including zoos and aquariums), movie theaters, video rental and game stores, theater and concert tickets, and digital entertainment, toy and hobby stores, and books and newsstands (including comic books), according to the card’s terms and conditions.
- Marvel products and conventions. Purchases made with your card at official Marvel online stores and merchandise booths at designated comic conventions.
It earns 1% back on all other purchases. Cash back comes only as an automatic statement credit.
3. The card gives useful discounts in Vegas …
Besides cash back rewards, the card gets you discounts at Marvel Avengers Station, an exhibit in Las Vegas:
- 20% off tickets to Marvel Avengers Station when paying with the card at the box office
- 10% off merchandise
4. … and online
It also offers discounts at online Marvel stores.
- 10% off merchandise at MarvelShop.com
- Free shipping on MarvelShop.com during certain times of year
- Marvel Unlimited or Marvel digital comics. This includes three months free to join the Marvel digital archives.
5. The card is fundamentally sound
The Marvel Mastercard, issued by Synchrony Bank, is as free as Spider-Man swinging between buildings, with an annual fee of $0.
The sign-up bonus — $25 Statement Credit after your first purchase — is enough to buy a few comic books.
The ongoing APR is 16.49% - 26.49% Variable.
It’s a Mastercard, so you can expect wide acceptance. But don’t use it when shopping abroad or you’ll incur 3% foreign transaction fees.
Overall, the cash back and discounts won’t make you Tony Stark-rich, but won’t make you Hulk-mad, either.